The Paley Center for Media’s PaleyLive event, They Run the Show: African-American Creators and Producers in Conversation, presented by Citi at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills on February 13, 2018.
The Paley Center for Media gathered prominent African-American showrunners, creators, and executive producers to discuss the current state of the industry with clips from the Paley Archive to help illustrate the conversation. This event was part of the Paley Center’s multifaceted Black History Month celebration, African-American Achievements in Television: A Black History Spotlight Presented by Citi. PaleyLive programs offer television fans the rare opportunity to engage with the cast and creative teams of their favorite programs in intimate settings held at The Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills. All PaleyLive programs are selected by the Paley Center to not only expand society’s understanding of the cultural, creative, and social significance of television, but also for their ability to educate and entertain the public.
- Cheo Hodari Coker, Creator/Executive Producer/Showrunner, Luke Cage
- Courtney A. Kemp, Creator/Executive Producer/Showrunner, Power
- Janine Sherman Barrois, Executive Producer/Showrunner, Claws
- Karin Gist, Executive Producer/ Showrunner, Star
- Prentice Penny, Executive Producer/Showrunner, Insecure
- Justin Simien, Creator/Executive Producer, Dear White People
Moderator: Nischelle Turner, Entertainment Tonight
PHOTO CREDIT: Brian To/The Paley Center for Media