We take for granted that it’s socially and fashionably acceptable to live in yoga pants. But you can thank Aussie health and wellness guru Lorna Jane Clarkson for that! She invented the term “activewear” 27 years ago, and she’s still making it look good. Clarkson shared what inspired her back then, what keeps her moving now, and how we can all look and feel amazing at 50…
Inspired to Perspire
The fitness fashion pioneer has been in the business for three decades, and her brand, Lorna Jane, has 155 stores worldwide. She is founder and chief creative officer and the most awarded activewear fashion designer. Her goal from the start was to create clothing that was not sport-specific, but could be worn from day to night. “I wanted to design clothing that would inspire women to be more active in their daily lives.”
Every Day Counts
Clarkson believes that what you do every day determines where you go and how you look and feel. “I follow my personal philosophy of active living, which includes the daily practice of ‘move, nourish, and believe.’”
How She Makes 50 Look (and Feel) So Good:
- I move my body every day. Working out needs to be at the top of your priority list. Make time for your favorite class, go walking with your girlfriends instead of meeting for coffee, or simply make a commitment to yourself to fit that seven-minute workout routine into your day. Who can’t find seven minutes?!
- I nourish my body with fresh and nutritious foods. I believe there is an extremely powerful connection between what we eat and how we look and feel in life.
- I adopt a positive attitude and believe anything is possible. You cannot lead a positive life with a negative mind, and something as simple as believing in yourself and what you can achieve is imperative to keep yourself moving forward toward achieving your goals in life.
- I practice mindfulness. We’ve all experienced those moments of subconsciously “doing,” and not “being.” Life is a beautiful gift and every day is filled with magical moments, so make sure you take time to live every moment and not let them just pass you by.
- I make sure to drink plenty of water. I know you’re probably sick of hearing the two-liters-a-day thing. But the truth is, water makes you gorgeous! It moisturizes and hydrates your skin, is essential for maintaining your skin’s elasticity, and keeps your digestion and metabolism working properly. It’s the best and purest weight-loss tool on the planet.